Many Lebanese cookbooks will tell you that Lebanese rice pudding isn’t so different from western rice pudding. They are perhaps made in a similar way, but they do not taste the same at all. I was never truly fond of rice pudding until I tasted riz b-haleeb the true Lebanese way. And now I love it. Here is an authentic recipe for a delicious oriental rice pudding garnished with pistachios & almonds.
Cooking phase: 1hr
Resting phase: 3hrs or more
Ingredients: Use the same measurement cup for the rice, water, milk and sugar!
1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water, 8 cups of milk, 1 cup of sugar, 2 tbsp of orange blossom water, 1 tbsp of rose water
1. In a small pan, place 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water and let it boil for ~15min until the water has evaporated
2. In a large pot, heat 8 cups of milk until boiling, then add the cooked rice and stir constantly under medium heat for ~20min. Do not let the milk & rice rest – you must keep on stirring
3. Add 1 cup of sugar and continue stirring for ~20min
4. Add 2 tbsp of orange blossom water and 1 tbsp of rose water and stir for another 5min
5. At this point, the pudding should be thick. Remove from the heat and place in a large glass container or in small individual glasses. Let the pudding cool down in the refrigerator for at least 3hrs. Serve cold with pistachios & almonds
Do you like riz b-haleeb? What is your favorite Lebanese sweet?